Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Bustin My Blogging Cherry

Before I jump into a rundown of my five favorite documentaires, I would like to take a moment to profess my most sincere gratitude to Lord John and C-Feath for giving my quasi-coherent ramblings a home here at cinemawreck. It is much appreciated, and I will do my utmost to conduct myself with the quiet dignity we have all come to associate with you gentlemen. That being said, let's move on to the docs, which I love because I can dupe myself in to believing that I am actually learning something ( a la reading a book) even though I am actually just sitting on my ass watching television. Okay, here we go.

Mule Skinner Blues

This film has everything. Seriously, there isn't a damn thing you could possibly want in a documentary that you won't find in this offering from director Stephen Earnhart. Mule Skinner Blues is the story of Beanie Andrew - an aspiring musician, dancer, actor, director, screenwriter, etc. - discovered in Florida on the set of a Jim White music video shoot. Beanie is an elder gentleman with a long history of alcoholism, extensive delusions of grandeur, and a fierce dedication to the creative arts. The film follows his efforts, along with his merry band of assorted eccentrics, to make a horror movie about rival guitar virtuosos, the supernatural, and a vicious Florida swamp gorilla. (No, you didn't read that wrong.)

While the film is centered around Beanie and his mission, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting with out its supporting cast of characters. Keep a close eye out for scene stealers Miss Jeannie (the music video for her single, DUI Blues, closes the film), on again off again band mates Steve Walker and Ricky Lix (pay extra special close attention to the disturbing revelation of the true meaning behind the song Picture on the Wall), and costume designer, Annabelle Lea Usher (don't you dare miss the tour of her deep freezer...). I'm not exactly sure what trailer park (I'm not being mean, most of the film is shot in a trailer park) Earnhart stumbled upon, but it was filled with pure gold as far as local color and fascinating characters are concerned.

Although some outspoken critics (or pea brains as I like to call them), have been quick to label Mule Skinner Blues as a film that exploits its characters, I have to wholeheartedly disagree. I consider it one of the most inspirational things I have ever seen in my life. Nearly every person depicted has two important things in common. The first is an almost complete and utter lack of any sort of discernible talent (just sayin), and the second is a unbreakable will that refuses to acknowledge failure or give up on a dream whether it be country music, filmmaking, 80's hair metal, sobriety, or yodeling.

The key to Beanie and company's ability to inspire is that they get the same rush out of playing a concert or premiering a film for 20 people as they would for playing a sold out Wembly Stadium. It doesn't matter that the world will never recognize them as great musicians, artists, or filmmakers. They garner their satisfaction from starting a project and, at least in some cases, finishing it. As long as they can expose people to their respective art forms and have a couple of drinks when its all said and done, they go home happy. No matter who you are, you have to respect that rare breed of creative passion that is unflagging despite toiling in anonymity.

On a side note, I used to show this film to my freshman composition courses. Unfortunately, most of them failed to grasp the method behind my madness. Sure, they got their yucks watching these "weirdos" try to hit it big, but they never understood why I felt it was important to show people this film. While I do believe it is okay to laugh at films like this, it is important not to lose sight of how remarkable it can be to watch the creative spirit refuse to be snuffed out by this shitbox of a world we've had the misfortune of being born into. Should you ever find yourself beaten and battered by the world you're trudging through, always remember the immortal words of Mr. Beanie Andrew. "If you fall in the mud, you might come back as a gorilla".

(I promise that will at least make a little more sense if you see the damn movie.)

Stay tuned till next time when we discuss the classic film Speedo: A Demolition Derby Love Story.


Mule Skinner Blues
Director: Stephen Earnhart
Sundance Channel Home Entertainment, 2003






3 Comments:

Blogger Dr Chaddius Feathermore III said...

welcome to the party pal!

//John McClain off

April 25, 2007 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger JB Moore said...

Jesus Christ lady, does it sound like I'm orderin' a fuckin' pizza?!?

Sorry, there was my McClain...

Good job Cpl. Good article.

April 25, 2007 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger Earl said...

aw shucks, thanks guys.

April 25, 2007 at 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home